Faced with the impact of dry conditions, the National Water Commission (NWC) is moving to impose water restrictions in all areas served by drought-affected supply systems.
The prohibition order will take effect on July 9 and remain in force until further notice.
Among the offences that are to be punishable by a fine imposed by the parish courts after conviction or, for failing to pay the fine, imprisonment for up to 30 days are:
* Watering of gardens, lawns, grounds and farms.
* Refilling of tanks, ponds, or swimming pools and/or for use other than normal domestic services.
* Washing of vehicles by the use of a hose.
* Watering or washing roadways, pavements, paths, garages.
* Any purpose which may require the use of a considerable or excessive quantity of water.
Follow The Gleaner on Twitter and Instagram @JamaicaGleaner and on Facebook @GleanerJamaica. Send us a message on WhatsApp at 1-876-499-0169 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.