AMES, Iowa — With much of western Iowa currently under a moderate to severe drought, Iowa State University Extension and Outreach has announced 10 free drought meetings around the area.
About 80% of Dallas County is in a condition of severe drought, according to a U.S. Drought Monitor report released Thursday. Under a severe drought, dryland corn has extremely low yields and commodity shortages are noted; livestock is stressed; fire danger is high; fewer mosquitoes are observed; surface water levels are low; algae blooms increase; and voluntary water conservation is requested
The severe drought is causing major concern for both crop and livestock producers, and the in-person ISU meetings will help to address those concerns at the following times and places:
- Aug. 3, 9:30 a.m. Adair County Fairgrounds (900 N.E. Elm St., Greenfield). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Adair County office to pre-register at 641-743-8412.
- Aug. 3, 5:30 p.m. Cass County Fairgrounds (1000 Fair Ave., Atlantic). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Cass County office to pre-register at 712-243-1132.
- Aug. 4, 9:30 a.m. Audubon County Fairgrounds (400 N. Division St. W., Audubon). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Audubon County office to pre-register at 712-563-4239.
- Aug. 4, 5:30 p.m. Swan Lake State Park (22676 Swan Lake Trail, Carroll). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Carroll County office to pre-register at 712-792-2364.
- Aug. 5, 9:30 a.m. Dallas County Fairgrounds (28057 Fairground Road, Adel). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Dallas County office to pre-register at 515-993-4281.
- Aug. 5, 5:30 p.m. Boone County Fairgrounds (1601 Industrial Park Road, Boone). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Boone County office to pre-register at 515-432-3882.
- Aug. 6, 10 a.m. Sac County Fairgrounds 4-H Building (416 Park Ave., Sac City). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Sac County office to pre-register at 712-662-7131.
- Aug. 6, 1 p.m. Pocahontas Expo Center (310 N.E. First St., Pocahontas). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Pocahontas County office to pre-register at 712-335-3103.
- Aug. 7, 9:30 a.m. Greene County Fairgrounds (601 E. Lincoln Way, Jefferson). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Greene County office to pre-register at 515-386-2138.
- Aug. 7, 5:30 p.m. Guthrie County Fairgrounds (408 W. State St., Guthrie Center). Contact the ISU Extension and Outreach Guthrie County office to pre-register at 641-747-2276.
Topics at the meeting will include:
- crop growth and development under drought conditions, presented by Mike Witt, Paul Kassel or Aaron Saeugling, field agronomists with ISU Extension and Outreach
- feeding drought damaged crops, including issues with drought silage, and other cattle management considerations by Erika Lundy, Beth Doran or Chris Clark, ISU Extension and Outreach beef specialists
- and crop insurance considerations covered by Steve Johnson, Gary Wright, Patrick Hatting or Tim…