An urgent message was sent by state authorities about a brain-eating amoeba found in a southeast Texas water supply.
The amoeba, known as naegleria fowleri, prompted a do-not-use advisory for the Brazosport Water Supply.
The orders were issued for all water in the following cities: Lake Jackson, Freeport, Angleton, the City of Brazoria, Richwood, Oyster Creek, Clute, Rosenberg, Dow Chemical, TDCJ Clemens Unit and TDCJ Wayne Scott Unit.
The do-not use advisory means customers should not use the tap water for anything but flushing toilets, including drinking, bathing or cooking.
Approximately 58,000 people are impacted by the advisory which was issued late Friday to Brazosport Water Authority member cities, according to KTRK.
Naegleria fowleri typically affects people when the contaminated water enters their body through their nose, according to the CDC.
It can travel to the brain and cause a condition known as primary amebic meningoencephalitis, a rare but highly lethal disease, according to health experts.
The CDC says people cannot get infected from swallowing water contaminated with Naegleria fowleri.
Symptoms of the illness include severe frontal headaches, nausea, vomiting, fever and hallucinations.
The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality says the advisory will remain in place until the water system has been adequately flushed and samples indicate that the water is safe to use.
CORRECTION: At 10 PM Friday the Brazosport Water Authority was informed of potential Naegleria Fowleri in the water supply.
DO NOT USE ADVISORY: Lake Jackson, Freeport, Angleton, Brazoria, Richwood, Oyster Creek, Clute, Rosenberg, Dow Chemical, TDCJ Clemens & TDCJ Wayne Scott. https://t.co/CQB99XRhak
— Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (@TCEQ) September 26, 2020